“Agri” and “Culture”
The word agriculture originated from two Latin words i.e;
- Ager which means soil, land or field;
- Cultural which means tillage or cultivation.
The word agriculture means cultivating/ tilling or management of the field, soil and land.
Agriculture is the science and art of growing crops and rearing of animals for human benefit Agriculture is a science because;
- Modern crop and animal production requires knowledge of other science subjects such as Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Zoology, Botany, Pedology, Geography and Economic, Math.
- It requires application of knowledge from experiments and observations.
Agriculture is an art because it involves adopting specific skills for doing certain activities like construction.
AIMS OF TEACHING AGRICULTURE IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS
- To stimulate an interest and create awareness of existing problems and opportunities in Agriculture and rural development.
- To provide a background for advanced studies in agriculture in A-level,colleges and universities
- To promote an appreciation of agriculture as an applied science.
- To teach in a practical manner the basic principles and skills in agriculture.
- To ensure that schools take up an active role in rural development by intergrating agricultural activities in the school curriculum
- To demonstrate that farming is a respectable occupation that is both profitable and honorable.
- To show how improved Agriculture will contribute towards worldwide freedom from famine. For more notes read more notes about commerce, entrepreneur Notes, biology