KINGDOM MONERA. This basically comprises of bacteria which are prokaryotes
- They are unicellular with cells occurring either alone or in colonies.
- The cells lack membrane bound organelles.
- The free living bacteria have flagella
- Some are parasitic and others are saprophytic
- The cell wall is covered with mucin
- They reproduce asexually by means of spores or binary fission
Economic importance of bacteria
- Bacteria causes decay of dead plants and animals thus releasing nutrients for use by green plants
- Rhizobium converts the nitrogen into nitrates in the soils
- Bacteria manufacture vitamin B12 and k
- Used in curing tea and tobacco, making silage /retting flax. Curing is process of treating and preserving tea / tobacco
- Bacteria destroys harmful organisms in sewage in the sewage treatment
- Used in industrial processing of food like vinegar, cheese, and yoghurt
- Symbiotic bacteria in ruminants help in digesting cellulose by secreting enzymes cellulosev
- Bacteria cause decay and food spoilage
- Denitrifying bacteria converts nitrates in to free nitrogen in the soil.
- Some bacteria cause harmful diseases to man like anthrax.