LOCATION OF EAST AFRICA /p6 notes
Location of east Africa / p6 notes is found in the continent of Africa.
- It’s located in the Eastern geographical region of Africa.
- Countries that make up E.A – Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi
- E. Africa lies between Latitudes 40N and 120S and longitudes 270E to 420E.
- Uganda has a total area of 244,000sqkm, the smallest.
- It is a land locked country.
- H.E Yoweri Kaguta Museveni is its president.
- Total area of 585,000 sqkm
- Second largest country in E.A.
- President is H.E Uhuru Kenyatta
- Capital city is Nairobi
- It is not a land locked country.
- Main sea port is Mombasa
- Kenya is the most industrialised country in E.A
- Total area of 943,000 sqkm.
- Tanzania is the biggest among the E.A countries.
- Capital city is Dodoma.
- Main sea port is Dar-es-salaam
- President is Jakaya Morisho Kikwete
- Islands which are part of East Africa Pemba, Zanzibar and Mafia.
- Total area of 27,830 sqkm
- It is a land locked country
- Capital city is Bujumbura
- Current president is H.E Pierre Nkurunziza
- Total area of 26,338sqkm
- It is the smallest country in the E.A region
- \it is a land locked country
- It’s capital city is Kigali
- Current president is H.E. Paul Kagame
East Africa is boarded by 7 countries
Tanzania, Rwanda, and Burundi are countries in East Africa that lie in the southern hemisphere.
NEIGHBOURS OF EAST AFRICA
|North||South Sudan Ethiopia||Juba Addis Ababa|
|South West||Malawi Zambia||Lilongwe Lusaka|
- Indian Ocean borders the Eastern part of East Africa.
- Major latitude that crosses East Africa is the equator passing through Uganda and Kenya.
- The equator in Uganda crosses Lake Victoria and George.
- The districts crossed by the equator include: Wakiso, Kasese, Kalungu, Kiruhura, Ibanda etc.
- The equator divides Kenya into almost two equal halves
THE MAP OF EAST AFRICA SHOWING THE NEIGHBORS SIZE AND POSITION
LATITUDES AND LONGITUDES
- Reviewing the definition of latitude as a distance of a place from the equator.
- Latitudes are imaginary lines drawn on a map running from East to West.
- Latitude is the distance North or South of the Equator.
- Longitudes are imaginary lines drawn on a map running from north to South.
- Longitude is the distance East or West of the prim meridian
The major latitudes include
- Equator – 00
- Tropic of cancer 23½ ̊ N
- Tropic of capricorn 23½ ̊ N
- Others are Arctic Circle 66½ ̊N and Antactic circle 66½ ̊ S
IMPORTANCE OF THE EQUATOR
It determines the climate of an area.
The equator divides the world into two equal parts.
The equator determines how far North or South a place is i.e. (It is where latitudes readings begin from)
The equator is marked 00 because the numbering of all latitudes starts from it.
THE DIAGRAM SHOWING MAJOR LATITUDES
- Longitudes are imaginary lines on a map running from north to south.
- Major lines of longtudes include; Green wich meridian (prime meridian) 0° and International date line-180 East or West
A DIAGRAM SHOWING LONGITUDES.
- The prime meridian divides the world into the Eastern and western hemispheres
- It is also used to determine international time
- The International Date Line is used to determine day and dates.
- The prime meridian is also called Green witch Meridian because it passes through a town called Greenwich in London (England)
- In Africa it pass through Acera City in Ghana.
- Other countries crossed by the prime – meridian
- Burkino Faso
Importance of longitudes
- They determine how far a place is East or West of the Greenwich.
- Prime meridian is used to determine international time
- The IDL is used to determine days and dates.
Importance of Latitudes
- They determine how far a place is North or South of the equator.
- The equator is used t determine climate of an area
- NAB: Both longitudes and latitudes are used to locate places on a map.
- Time is calculated from the Greenwich meridian
- Every 150 make an hour, therefore 10 = 4 minutes.
- The world is divided into 24 divisions called Time Zone and each time zone is 150 apart.
NB: A time zone is a region on the globe that experience the same standard time
- East of the Greenwich meridian, we add time while west of the Greenwich, we subtract time.
- East Africa’s time zone is called East African standard time (CEAST)
The time in Ghana is 10:00am. Wht time will it be in Uganda which is 450 East?
15 = 1hour
450 = 450
= 3 hours
Since East we add 3 hours + 10:00am
Hrs. Min. 13:00
10 00 – 12:00
3 00 1:00pm
The time in Accra is 1:00p.m.
What is the time in Gabon which is 300 East?
15 = 1hour
300 = 300
= 2 hours
Since East we add 2 hours + 1:00am
+ 2 00
It is 6:00am in Accra. What time will it be in Liberia 300 West?
150 = 1hour
300 = 300
= 2 hours
Since West we subtract 6:00 – 2 hours add 2 hours + 1:00am
+ 2 00
Its 10:00 am at the GMT.What time will it be if one moves 30° E.ie
Since movement is to the East.we add 2 hours to the original time
The time in Nairobi Kenya is 12:00pm.What time will be if one moves 45° W of the prime meridian.
Time in Nairobi=12:30pm
Time change in 45°
MOVEMENTS OF THE EARTH
Rotation of he Earth
- The Earth rotates on its axis from west to East.
- An axis is an imaginary line that cuts through the Earth from the north pole to the south pole.
- It takes 24hours (1 day( for the Earth to make a complete rotation.
- The rotation of the Earth causes day and night.
- It also cause deflection of winds and ocean currents.
Revolution of the Earth
- Is the movement of the earth around the sun.
- It takes 365 ¼ days for the earth to revolve around the sun
- This is called a ordinary year.
- The forth year of every four yeast has 366 days
- This is called a leap year
- The revolution of the earth cause seasons i.e.summer, winter, autumn and spring.
- On 21st March and 23rd September, the sun is directly overhead the Equator.
- On these two dates the earth gets equal days and nights i.e. Equinox.
- On 21st June, the sun is overhead the tropic of cancer
- The northern hemisphere will have the summer season while the southern hemisphere will have winter.
- On 22nd December the sun is directly overhead the tropic of Capricorn. The southern hemisphere will experience summer while the Northern hemisphere will experience winter.
1. Write the following in full
A) GMT b) I.D.L
2. Why doesn’t Rwanda experience the same time with Uganda yet they are neighbours.
3. What is meant by the term time Zone?
4. The time in Accra Ghana is 9.00am. What will it be in Somalia which is 30°E?
5. The time Dodoma is 11:45am.What time will it be in a place which is 60° W.https://revisionug.com/