A short circuit is a path of low resistance towards flow of current through circuit.
Causes of short circuit
- Poor wiring when installing electricity in buildings.
- Pushing metallic objects in electric sockets.
- When bare electric wires get into contact.
- Wrong connection of wires in electric equipment.
- Overloading sockets.
Effects of short circuit.
- Destruction of electrical equipment.
- Fire that may burn the building.
- Lead to death of people and animals.
How to avoid short circuit
- Electric wires should be covered with an insulating material.
- Installation should be done by experts only.
- Repair of electric appliances should be done by experts.
- It is the type of electricity where there is no flow of electrons.
- It is formed when two insulators are rubbed against each other.
- In nature static electricity can be seen when lightning occurs.
- This is static electricity in nature.
- When a positively charged cloud meets a negatively charged cloud, a huge spark is formed and may pass to the ground.
- During the passage of lightning, the surrounding air is heated strongly, expands suddenly and then contracts quickly as it cools.
- This air vibrates to produce the sound called thunder.
Advantage of lightning.
- Lightning fixes nitrogen into the soil.
Preventing effects caused by lightning.
- Avoid sitting under tall trees when it is raining.
- Install lightning conductors on buildings.
How lightning conductors reduce risks to the building.
- They provide route for electrons to pass into the ground without damaging the building.
Differences between static electricity and current electricity
|Takes place in insulators.
|Takes place in conductors.
|The charge is on the surface.
|Charge is inside the conductor.
|The charge does not flow.
|Charge flows through the conductor from one place to another.
|Protons (+) and electrons (-) are both necessary for this type of electricity.
|Only electrons flow.
Importance of electricity.(lesson ten), week two.
- Run machines like radios,
Advantages of electricity in solving everyday problems.
- It is quick.
- It is clean.
- Easy to use.
- Conserves the environment.
Disadvantages of electricity.
- It is expensive to install.
- Electricity can shock.
- It can burn buildings.
Safety precautions in handling electricity and electrical appliances.
- Never touch a switch with wet hands
- Avoid over loading the socket.
- Avoid repairing the appliance when not trained.
- Avoid pushing metallic objects into sockets.
- Never open anything that uses electricity if not an expert.
- Never touch an electric wire that has fallen from an electric pole.
- Never take shelter under tall trees during thunderstorm.
- Briefly explain the term electricity.
- Why electricity is called a form of energy?
- Give any one way in which electricity can prevent deforestation.
- Why is it important to properly handle electric appliances?
- Draw a symbol of an electric bulb.
- Suggest any one way in which we can prevent our electric appliances from being destroyed by electricity.
- State any one difference between conductors and insulators.
- Why are electric wires carrying current from the source raised some meters high from the ground?
- Cite any one disadvantage of using electricity in the environment
- Draw a diagram to show the flow of current.
- Cite any one danger of lightning to the environment.
- State the static electricity in nature.
- Briefly explain how to overcome the dangers of caused by short circuits in the environment.
- Why is the filament of an electric bulb coiled?
- How is a fuse important in an electric circuit?